hits counter
  • ads
  • History of Coal Mining Dark Lane, Mirfield

    By pmadmin
    Dec 9th, 2014
    0 Comments
    294 Views

    In 1871, Mr John Nevin, son of the vicar of Mirfield, having completed his
    training, returned to Mirfield.  Almost immediately the coal industry was
    reorganised on a larger scale, and centralised.  Messrs Charles Wheatley,
    Robert Barraclough and John Nevin founded the Mirfield Colliery Company
    (1871), and sinking operations were begun at Dark Lane, the entrance to
    which was signposted ‘Nevin’s Lane’.  The Blocking Coal Seam was reached in
    February 1872, and during the first year produced 200 tons a week.  In 1896
    Mr Charles Wheatley transferred all his interests to Messrs. John and T.E.
    Nevin. But before that, in 1891, a shaft was sunk near the King’s Head Inn,
    connected with the workings at Dark Lane, and this afforded a means of
    escape at either end in time of emergency, though in the attempt to connect
    the two in 1897 an explosion took place, killing three men.  In 1906 some
    800 men and boys were employed by the Company.

    At Dark Lane, coke was made from slack in 20 bee hive ovens. (It has been
    described as the finest gas and coking coal in the world.) But water was
    the enemy, particularly when workings were below river level, and sometimes
    as much as 970,000 gallons were pumped out in 24 hours.

    The King’s Head stood on the inside of the corner of Water Royd Lane opposite Cripple Gate and sold  Bentley’s Yorkshire Bitter .There is evidence that the pub was in existence as far  back as 1600 and when the King’s Head Mine opened it was used as a meeting place for the miners as well  as farmers and other traders doing business in the area. The cellar was unusual in that it was carved  out of the rock on which the pub stood and the pub sported a bowling green which was taken over by  housing shortly before the pub was demolished. It was pulled down by a Mr. Curry to be replaced by his  hardware store which itself has now been replaced by a private house

    About "" Has 105 Posts

    Comments are closed.